Training for a Total

• Powerlifting Prep

PH3 Day 1/90

What's up Team CP,

I've created this training log not only to hold myself accountable throughout my first powerlifting prep, but I get questions about my training and nutrition on a regular basis. I hope that this becomes an open source of information for many to use, and answers some questions that I get on the regular. On here will be all of my training numbers, how I felt before, during, and after training, training footage, a few physique updates, and most of my nutrition and supplementation around my training. Also if I get any questions along the way, I'll gladly answer if I can.

I guess I should begin by introducing myself. My name is Devin West, I'm a Campus Protein rep at East Tennessee State University. This entire prep will be at my hometown gym though, as I'm home for the Summer. I'm in the BSN Nursing program and graduate in December, 2017 (Any day now PLZ). I've been lifting for 6 years, competed in Bodybuilding 3x (2x in 2013, 1x in 2014), and am beginning prep for my first powerlifting meet (duhh). I'm competing at the USAPL Powerlifting for Pups on August 13th. I'll be using Layne Norton's PH3 throughout my entire prep. I am a flexible dieter, so I count my daily macronutrients (fats. carbs, proteins) in order to hit my desired numbers. This allows me to eat the foods I love, while still getting the results I need. When I'm not training or eating, I'm walking my dog, riding jet skis or motorcycles, reading, or playing video games. Whatever is not on here, will probably be on my Instagram @devwest12 or Facebook, so feel free to add/follow me!

Training

Today is a Big 3 day. During the first phase of PH3, the training will be based on building volume, so reps are generally high while the percentages I train at are relatively low. Since this is the first week, my training volume will be pretty low, but as the weeks go on, it will gradually increase. On the Agenda is:
    Squat: 2x9 325 (72.5%)
    Bench: 2x9 235 (72.5%)
    Deadlift: 2x7 415 (72.5%)

Nutrition

Pre:

My preworkout meal was also my breakfast since I trained pretty early. Today was an Egg white Bagelwich: Whole Wheat Honey Bagel, 75g egg whites, 1 slice of low fat cheese, and 30g of leaf lettuce. 5f 54c 24p
    I also had a scoop of Orange Soda #fuel-2nd-generation mixed with Citrulline Malate and Beta-Alanine during my drive to the gym.

Chicken and Shrimp Taco Salad: 2oz grilled chicken, 3oz shrimp, 100g corn, 100g black beans, 71g tomato, 76g leaf lettuce, 1 Mission Carb Balance Tortilla.14f 93c 66p

Mentality

Pre: I went into this session feeling refreshed and ready to go. The previous week was a much needed deload which gave me time to get mentally and physically prepared for this training cycle. I've been looking forward to starting meet prep for about a month, and it finally came, I didn't need much more motivation than that. Even though I was feeling pumped before my preworkout, with the deficit that I'm in, I know that can change at the drop of a barbell (Ayyyyy), so I took a scoop anyway.

Post: Everything felt exactly as it should. Squat, Bench, and Deads all moved with ease and I was in and out of the gym within 1Hr 15M. WE GOOD.

Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

• This post is deleted!

• Powerlifting Prep

PH3 Day 2/90

This is my second time running the PH3 program. While it's an incredible program and gave me huge gains on size and strength, it's definitely not for everybody. Layne tries to remind people all through the introduction that this is NOT for beginners, and I don't think people take it seriously. If you don't have at least 2 years of consecutive training under your belt, you haven't been squatting, benching, and deadlifting 2-3 times per week recently, definitely use another program such as Ogus PHAT or some other intermediate program first.

I've been training 3-6 days per week for about 6 years now, and it still kicks my ass. Don't try to be a hard ass and end up injuring yourself just to try out a program after training for 6 months. srs

Training

Today’s training session was all upper body accessories. Pretty much, this entire day is dedicated to high volume hypertrophy work to target the muscles that the Big 3 do not work too much. Oh yeah, and I got to hit some Blood flow restriction (BFR) arms which gives MASSIVE pumps. After today’s strength training I walked on the treadmill 20 minutes for some cardio.
    Training at school, the dumbbells only go up to 100s, so to progress with dumbbell bench I have been doing more tempo work by slowing the eccentric down as the weight gets easier. Now that I’m back in my hometown gym, I have the luxury of having up to 160s. So today I gave the 110s a go for one of my sets and it felt awesome.

Dumbbell Bench Press 110x8, 100x8
    Lat-Pulldown 150x8, 160 2x8
    T-Bar Row 110 2x8
    Seated OHP 145x7, 140x7
    Dumbbell Curl 45 5x8
    BFR Machine Biceps curl 40x 20, 10, 10, 10
    Seated Triceps Extension 150x8, 140 4x8
    BFR Triceps Pushdown 110x20, 10, 10, 10

Nutrition

Pre:

I’m pretty sure this is the fourth day in a row I’ve had a bagelwich for breakfast srs.
    Today’s was ham, egg white, & Cheese on a Banana Bread bagel.
    1 scoop of R1 Whey Blend
    MACROS 7f 70c 54p
    For my preworkout I just had 6g Citrulline Malate 5g Universal Creatine and 2g Beta-Alanine

1 egg, 3 egg white omelet with ham and mozzarella.
    Toast with fat free cream cheese and tomato
    MACROS 13f 45c 49p

• Powerlifting Prep

PH3 Day 3/90

Thoughts on PH3: This is a regular question I keep getting. To sum it up without writing an essay:

1. It’s the perfect blend between hypertrophy and powerlifting training
    2. I got huge results on both ends of the spectrum (strength and size)
    3. It is the most challenging program I’ve ever done, all while being manageable.
    4. The inner bodybuilder in me loves training to failure, so the weekly AMRAPs and BFR work complete me.

Training

Wednesday’s are a squat, bench and leg accessory day. Squats and bench are moderately heavy, then we finish with a leg pump and get to play with some BFR on calves, which is painfully good! I’m definitely feeling this deficit though, I didn’t have as many calories as I’m used to for my preworkout and everything was a little sluggish to begin. I had to keep thinking of the platform to maintain the right mindset. That and telling myself not to be a little B#### and squat usually gets the job done.
    Squat 3x7 350 (77.5%)
    Bench 3x7 250 (77.5%)
    Leg Extensions 2x10 250
    Leg Curl 1x10 110, 1x10
    Standing Calf Raise 2x8 220, 2x8 240
    BFR Calves 120x20, 10, 10, 10

Nutrition

Pre:

Bagel time again. Poverty macros have me macro hoarding so I can have a huge meal before bed. Luckily I can still fit a couple bagels throughout the day, they’re keeping me sane.
    1 Whole honey wheat bagel
    1 scoop #r1wheyblend
    1 scoop of Orange Soda #fuel-2nd-generation 6g Citrulline Malate 2g Beta-Alanine 5g Universal Creatine
    Macros 4.5f 58c 33p

6oz center-cut pork chop
    425g cooked zucchini
    380g (uncooked weight) sweet potato
    Macros 12.4f 91.7c 54.9p